This course is specifically designed to meet the needs of people working in the childcare and early childhood learning industry. This course is tailored towards anyone working with children. It covers child specific first aid in many high-risk areas such as anaphylaxis and asthma as well as common injuries and resuscitation. The Australian Children’s Education & Care Authority (ACECQA) has endorsed this course as meeting their requirements for anaphylaxis, asthma, and first aid training.
In this one day course, students complete an e-learning module and one day face-to-face of practice and assessment. This course is for those who are confident in their skills and want to gain their certification quickly. It is appropriate for experienced first aiders and people who complete their training regularly.
Assessment is through a combination of practical first aid activities and a written test paper. You will be required to demonstrate CPR on a manikin on the floor.
1 day + eLearning
- DRSABCD action plan
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Wounds and bleeding
- Medical emergencies
- Heat and cold induced illness
- Strains, sprains, dislocations and fractures
- Chest and abdominal injures
- Legal issues
- Managing the unconscious, breathing casualty
- Safety and risk management
- Head, neck and spinal injuries
- Facial and eye injuries
- Bites and Stings
- Infection control
HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support
HLTAID003 Provide first aid
HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
Training Materials Provided
First aid publication, bandages and plastic CPR wallet card.
Recommended recertification period
St John Ambulance recommends, as per the First Aid in the Workplace Code of Practice and the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines, that first aid skills are renewed every three years and resuscitation skills are renewed every 12 months.
Recommended Product/First Aid kits
- Keyring face shield or face mask
- Personal, Small, Medium or Large Leisure Kit (for the home and car)
- Standard or Medium Workplace Kit (for industry)
- Off-Road 4WD Kit, Recreational Marine Kit and Motoring Kit (for the great outdoors)
- Automated external defibrillator (AED)
Viewing sessions for:
There are no available sessions for this period