The St John Bicycle Emergency Response Team (BERT) plays a crucial part in ensuring the earliest possible response time to a casualty, particularly in places that are not easily accessible by an ambulance.
Using purpose built bicycles equipped with life saving defibrillators, oxygen and a range of other medical equipment, BERT volunteers provide efficient, mobile and quick first aid services at large scale events and celebrations.
You need basic bicycle riding skills. Full training is provided including a riding induction, bicycle handling course and full First Responder induction training.
- Application and interview
- Nationally accredited Provide First Aid certificate
- National Police check and Working with Children check (organised by St John)
Training opportunities are available, completely free of charge
- Riding induction
- Bicycle handling course
- St John First Responder induction program
- Provide First Aid
- Oxygen administration
- Asthma management
- Advanced airway management
- Cardiac monitoring
- Certificate II in Emergency Medical Service First Response
- Certificate III in Basic Health Care (Industrial First Responder)
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment